The dog, pig, snake, tiger and monkey have their own significance in Chinese culture. Each Animal represents one of the twelve years of the Chinese zodiac, and possesses traits both favorable and unfavorable. Those born under a particular year are thought top to posses their respective animal strengths and weakness.
Items & Description
(1) CHINESE ZODIAC YEAR OF THE PIG China Zodiac Animal - Pig Chinese: zhū Years of the Pig: 1923, 1935, 1947, 1959, 1971, 1983, 1995, 2007, 2019, 2031
Pig is not thought to be a smart animal in China. It likes sleeping and eating and becomes fat. Thus it usually features laziness and clumsiness. On the positive side, it behaves itself, has no calculation to harm others, and can bring affluence to people. Consequently, it has been regarded as wealth.
Earthly Branch of Birth Year: Hai Wu Xing (The Five Elements): Shui (Water) Yin Yang: Yin
(2) CHINESE ZODIAC YEAR OF THE DOG China Zodiac Animal - Dog Chinese: gǒu Years of the Dog: 1922, 1934, 1946, 1958, 1970, 1982, 1994, 2006, 2018, 2030
Dog is man's good friend who can understand the human's spirit and obey its master, whether he is wealthy or not. The Chinese regard it as an auspicious animal. If a dog happens to come to a house, it symbolizes the coming of fortune. The invincible God Erlang in Chinese legend used a loyal wolfhound to help him capture monsters.
Earthly Branch of Birth Year: Xu Wu Xing (The Five Elements): Tu (Earth) Yin Yang: Yang
(3) CHINESE ZODIAC YEAR OF THE TIGER China Zodiac Animal - Tiger Chinese: hǔ Years of the Tiger: 1914, 1926, 1938, 1950, 1962, 1974, 1986, 1998, 2010, 2022
Tigers, considered to be brave, cruel, forceful, stately and terrifying, are the symbol of power and lordliness. In ancient times, people usually compared emperors or grandees with the tiger. Court officials often said that 'accompanying the emperor is just like being at the side of a tiger'. There are also many legends about this animal.
Earthly Branch of Birth Year: Yin Wu Xing (The Five Elements): Mu (Wood) Yin Yang: Yang
(4) CHINESE ZODIAC YEAR OF THE SNAKE China Zodiac Animal - Snake Chinese: shé Years of the Snake: 1917, 1929, 1941, 1953, 1965, 1977, 1989, 2001, 2013, 2025
Snake carries the meanings of malevolence, cattiness and mystery, as well as acumen and divination. In some places, people believe that a snake found in their court can bring delight. However, in most cases, this animal is considered evil, which scares people from the bottom of the heart. There are some idioms in China indicating the danger of this animal, for example, once bitten by the snake twice shy of ten years.
Earthly Branch of Birth Year: Si Wu Xing (The Five Elements): Huo (Fire) Yin Yang: Yin
(5) CHINESE ZODIAC YEAR OF THE MONKEY Chinese: hóu Years of the Monkey: 1920, 1932, 1944, 1956, 1968, 1980, 1992, 2004, 2016, 2028
2016 will be the Year of the Monkey according to Chinese zodiac. The Year of the Monkey will start from Feb. 8, 2016 (Chinese New Year) and last to Jan. 27, 2017.
China Zodiac Animal - Monkey The monkey is a clever animal. It is usually compared to a smart person. During the Spring and Autumn Period (770 - 476 BC), the dignified Chinese official title of marquis was pronounced 'Hou', the same as the pronunciation of ‘monkey’ in Chinese. The animal was thereby bestowed with an auspicious meaning.
Earthly Branch of Birth Year: Shen Wu Xing (The Five Elements): Jin (Metal) Yin Yang: Yang